The 80 – 20 Rule

The 80 – 20 Rule

With all the contradictory diets, methodology and dogma flying around out there it’s hard to make sense of what’s healthy and what’s not. There seems to never be an end to all the finger pointing at all the reasons Americas obesity rate steadily climbs. Nothing seems to be healthy these days because what was healthy a few years ago is now causing cancer or making us fat.

When we try and follow the advice of the latest “guru” or “scientific breakthrough” and set out on a quest to eat clean, choose minimally processed, natural foods, that has been “proven” to help us lose weight, boost energy, and improve performance, we are left with destroyed metabolisms and weight relapse. The sad reality is that too many of these companies and gurus are only looking to make their millions at the expense of our metabolisms and health. Jumping on off the next big thing will also lead to unhealthy habits. Stop and think about it. If there really was a quick trick or fix we would all be walking around lean and happy.

Rather than jumping from diet to diet we need to Discover exactly what our bodies and minds need. Coming to terms with our healthy is far more important than a dieting dogma or regulations. Listen to your body and react accordingly. Develop the habits and fundamentals that will ensure long term health and success.

Where do I start?

Begin your journey with the 80 – 20 rule. This is where we start most of our clients and it’s really simple. You eat as balanced as you can 80% of the time by building your meals with fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Combine proteins or fats with carbohydrates. The other 20% of the time eat like a human with taste buds. Who we kidding? We all have food likes and dislikes. Many times the foods that make our skulls happy are taboo or off limits according to the popular diets. The last thing you need is to feel restricted and shackled to strict guidelines. That time may come depending on your goals. Don’t feel guilty or ashamed because you ate a piece of cake. Cake is delicious. Down the hatch.

Here’s how you do it: If you’re eating 5 to 6 times a day (three meals, two to three snacks), you’re eating about 35-42 meals or snacks a week. So 20% of that would be 7 to 8 meals or snacks. If you feel like a treat before bed have one If you go out to eat with friends and desert comes around have some. Don’t be the dieting martyr and watch people have desert. If you feel like a desert have some.

The beauty of the 80 – 20 rule is more about creating a sustainable balance and keeping a handle on your nutrition without overthinking it. When you have the 80 -20 Rule under control you can tighten your percentages to 90 – 10 until you hit your goals then throttle back to the 80 – 20 or even a 70 – 30 game plan.

Spend a couple weeks applying this principle. Let me know how you do and if you have any questions or need any help.

Discover your ELITE

Dan

By | 2017-01-17T15:46:44+00:00 January 17th, 2017|Uncategorized|0 Comments

Leave A Comment

ERROR: 1 - [InvalidConfig]Invalid Configuration: for help setting up your API, please contact Support (1-866-800-0004 ext. 2)